GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) — The names of the officer and suspect involved in a deadly shooting outside Academy Sports in Greenville Tuesday have been released.
Officer Timothy Greene was off-duty and shopping at Academy Sports when he was told of a man who was shoplifting, police said.
Greene confronted 35-year-old David Melton of Goldsboro outside the store and showed his credentials.
Police said Melton then tried to attack Greene with a knife.
Greene then drew his gun and shot and killed the Melton, who died on scene, police said.
Greene is a 10-year veteran of the Greenville Police Department, assigned to the Neighborhood Patrol Unit.
Greene has been placed on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of the investigation, which is standard protocol.
GPD Chief Mark Holtzman has requested the State Bureau of Investigation conduct the primary investigation into the shooting.
GPD will also be conducting an internal investigation, per protocol in officer- involved shootings.
The suspect is a 35-year-old white male. Police said the names of both the suspect will be released at a later time.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)