SPENCERVILLE, Ind. (WANE) Authorities are investigating a crash Thursday afternoon involving a minivan and a semi in northern Allen County that took the lives of two children.
Emergency crews were called to the intersection of State Road 101 and Campbell Road near Spencerville, just south of the DeKalb County line at around 2:15 p.m.
The Allen County Sheriff’s Department said four sisters were in the van; ages 20, 13, 11, and 8.
The 20-year-old driver and eight-year-old passenger were flown to a hospital in critical condition. They were later upgraded to serious condition.
An autopsy scheduled Friday afternoon ruled the death of the two girls an accident.
The sisters were identified as 13-year-old Lisa and 11-year-old Lydia Schmucker.
One of the passengers killed was wearing a seatbelt and the other was not. Police were not sure if the two surviving sisters had a seatbelt on or not.
The driver of the semi was not injured.
Police said the semi was headed south on State Road 101 and the van was westbound on Campbell when the driver either ignored the two-way stop or didn’t see the semi after stopping.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)