It’s Shrove Tuesday and you know what that means … it’s time to eat pancakes.
Shrove Tuesday is the day the precedes Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. It is celebrated in a number of countries by the consumption of pancakes, hence where the Pancake Day nickname came from.
Lent is a religious practice and a period of fasting before Easter, and so Shrove Tuesday is the last day of eating ‘richer, fatty foods’ until Good Friday.
Pancakes came into the mix as they are a way of using us a large number of ‘fatty’ foods in one go - as pancakes traditionally contain eggs, butter, milk and sugar - along with a number of toppings.a href="/lifestyle/foodanddrink/when-is-pancake-day-2018-and-why-do-we-celebrate-it-a3164646.html" data-vars-item-name="read more - /lifestyle/foodanddrink/when-is-pancake-day-2018-and-why-do-we-celebrate-it-a3164646.html" data-vars-event-id="c29"">> i-amphtml-sizer">
- Read more
Below find the best traditional fluffy American-style pancake recipe to use for your Pancake Day celebrations.
The best traditional pancakes
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
180ml (3/4 cup) milk
50g melted butter
Touch of butter and vegetable oil for pan
Can choose from any number of toppings but our picks would be blueberries, bananas and maple syrup.
1. Mix all of the ingredients together until lump-free.a href="/lifestyle/foodanddrink/pancake-day-recipe-ideas-4-alternative-crepes-to-try-tonight-a3765306.html" data-vars-item-name="read more - /lifestyle/foodanddrink/pancake-day-recipe-ideas-4-alternative-crepes-to-try-tonight-a3765306.html" data-vars-event-id="c29"">> i-amphtml-sizer">
- Read more
2. In a hot pan, add a dash of vegetable oil and butter and spread over the surface.
3. Using a 1/4 cup measures, pour this into the pan to form your pancake. At this stage, if you are making blueberry pancakes you can sprinkle some blueberries on top.
4. When the top starts to bubble all over, flip the pancake and cook until the other side is lightly golden.
5. Stack and add your toppings. Enjoy!
Source : https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/best-traditional-american-pancake-recipe-a3765411.html471